We are so excited you have decided to join this community of motivated students and small businesses. Check out our student guidelines below for additional resources when using Elm's platform.
What is Elm?
Elm is a Philly based company, looking to connect entrepreneurial college students with small businesses. By signing up, you receive the unique opportunity to search for, match, and work with small businesses looking to grow their company. You will gain hands on experience and the opportunity to broaden your skill set through flexible, part time work.
And for students like you, Elm is free to use! Elm understands the many struggles college students face, including little free time and financial strain. This is why the platform is specifically designed to find remote work that can potentially aid in covering school expenses.
Tips for Your Profile
Now that you’ve created your account, here are a few tips for creating your profile:
- Use a professional headshot for your profile photo. This usually includes: a clean background; casual/work clothes; and good lighting.
- Your personal statement should include a brief overview of who you are, skills, and any work experience.
- Upload a PDF of your resume, and be sure to upload updated versions as you gain more experience.
- Select badges that match your skill set. Badges range from computer skills to marketing to writing. Once you search for small businesses you want to apply to, you can update your badge selections to appeal to the company.
How can you search and apply for roles?
- Click on the “Search for Roles” tab at the top of the screen.
- If you know the name of the role or company you want to apply to, you can type it into the search box.
- If you want to narrow your search options, click on “Advanced” to search by industry, pay type, time commitment, and location.
- To apply, click on a posting of your choice and choose “Apply”. Once you submit, you can view your applications’ status in the “My Applications” tab.
About Elm’s Badge System
You will be able to utilize our badge system to promote skills that correlate to various positions within a wide range of categories (including analytics, communications, certifications, technology, marketing, software, and more).
A Few Helpful Tips
- Keep your profile information up to date.
- Communicate with your small business about scheduling, pay, and/or workload changes. Let them know if something is not working for you.
- Keep your schedules organized so you are prepared for upcoming tasks.
Have More Questions?
Visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information.
Want to get in touch with us directly? Fill out the form on the Contact Us page and we well get back to you shortly!
Additional Student Resources
Interested in learning more about how to best position yourself when starting a new job or searching for new roles? Visit Elm’s Student Blog for more workplace, interview, and networking tips!
We’re so glad you decided to join Elm and begin making lasting connections with small businesses!